Why a consultation is so important. I do understand why some clients do not see the value in a consultation session. It is because they don’t understand what value it could bring to the table. All they see is a risky unnecessary expense where in fact this is the single most important stage to the success of any project.
So why is it so important?
- This will be the first “face-to-face” or “mouth-to-ear” contact with each other. This could be in the form of a meeting in person, Skype or Google hangouts video or voice session.
- COMMUNICATION. Textbase communication(email for example) will never replace a good chat. Text-based communications can lead to misunderstandings because sentences or words can be misinterpreted(too broad) in so many ways or can have different meanings to different people.
- It is also established if both parties are a good fit. Does the outlook for a healthy business relationship look promising?
- Customer’s problems and request are been answered or responded with more than one solution or outcome. They are educated on all the possible scenario’s and tools that can be used as there is always more than one way to solve a problem.
What value comes with a consultation? What are you paying for? In this instance, I will present some of the value you can expect from me, for example.:
- I am paid to perform, my attention is on you.
- Certified experienced developer.
- Years of experience gained in the market(from past failures & successes).
- Years of further studies to improve and expand my skill sets.
- Good communication.
- Risk Assesment for each solution.
- My interest and my commitment to turn your troubles or requests into an ROI solution.
In almost every case the client “walks out” with more understanding and knowledge(education). There is a sense of direction and a solution awaiting at the end of the prospective project.
The matter of the fact is, in the end, both parties will have a crystal clear idea of what needs to be done and what the next steps will involve. What the possible risks are. Get an idea of the expected outcome. Get an idea of the expected costs which could have been a lost in the thousands have the idea, the problem or the request not been properly been discusses and debated.
A successful project starts together with a good talk & a good ear.