The current WooCommerce store could not be updated(disabled) due to the nature of how the e-commerce store was developed. I needed to rebuild the store and implement the current code onto the new platform, but at the same time make the new WooCommerce setup update safe.
My duties where.:
- Build a new WooCommerce platform that can be updated.
- The theme needed to be built from scratch, using the Genesis Framework and required customization.
- All products need to be exported out of the old system and reimported into the new system. This was not easy, because everything needs to be manually ported. The previous version of the site was sitting on WordPress 2.0-something and the latest version of WordPress was on 4.0-something. So there was no plugin that was compatible with that old version of WordPress to be able to export the data. WordPress does not store its data in a few tables but its pieces of data spread over many tables. It can get very complex to match up all the references between the data tables.
It was a nice challenge and everything worked out good in the end. WordPress, WooCommerce, and all the plugins could be updated without any problems and the flow and functionality of the site were retained.
This task took about +- 3 months of work to complete.
- Develop new custom Email Templates for WooCommerce. For example New Orders, Order Complete etc.
- Added extra custom features, functionality and some more products.